Wednesday, April 27, 2011

RIP Bruce Jamerson

We've seen some bitter partisan battles recently here in Virginia, but politicians and activists from both sides of the aisle have come together to express their sorrow over the passing of Bruce Jamerson. Bruce, who served as the clerk of the Virginia House of Delegates for years, passed away under sad circumstances earlier this week.

Although I didn't know him well, I had the honor of meeting him several times during trips I've made to Richmond over the years and he was always extremely pleasant to interact with and showed a clear passion for the work he did with the House. I first met Bruce during my senior year at GMU when I was down in Richmond visiting legislators during a citizen lobby day event. I had just started a job as an organizer for a progressive nonprofit at the time and when I brought up that I was about to graduate with a degree in history, he became extremely eager to talk about the long history of the House of Delegates and what it meant to modern day politics.

Based upon what other folks have been saying both on the floor of the House and in the Virginia political community, I'm definitely not the only one who believes he will be missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment