Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Rochester Snow vs DC Snow

When folks learned that I was moving to Rochester, NY, one of the big things that everyone mentioned was the snow. I'd seen some of the snow when came to visit one of my best friends who went to the University of Rochester a few times, but hadn't really seen how the city functioned in snow since most of my time during those visits had been spent on campus. Well, considering that it's been snowing for the last three days, we already have at least a foot on the ground (on top of what we had last week), and it's still coming down, I think it's safe to say I'm experiencing my first legitimate Rochester snow.

With that in mind, I wanted to take a second to point out some of the differences I've noticed between how Rochester handles snow and how the DC area does. First, the biggest thing is that people don't freak out. There was no rush on the grocery stores to buy groceries or talk about how schools will be canceled. A prime example of this difference is that in the DC area a snowstorm about the quarter of the size Rochester is currently going through would likely receive round the clock news coverage. Here in Rochester, the weather report might be a minute or two longer, but life goes on.

Secondly, I have been very impressed with how they handle the roads. Not only have the roads been kept in good shape despite the constant accumulation of snow, but they also have smaller plows that are constantly out making sure that the sidewalks are clear. As one of my friends pointed out this morning, "it's the plow service that let's me get to work without a car." This is important to me because it shows how an efficient public service that is designed to fit the needs of a community can truly be worthwhile.

Finally, on a lighthearted note, snowball fights are a good time. I've organized a couple of them over the last couple days. A lot of my friends up here are so used to the snow that they wouldn't have even thought of having one if I didn't bring it up, but it's been great to act like kids playing in the snow with folks ranging from college students to folks in their late 50's. Motto of this, enjoy what mother nature gives you.

1 comment:

  1. I had friends who moved from here to there a few years back (and them came back to D.C.), and they made many of the same observations.

    Of course, it is a good thing that people don't try to drive in it around here. Most of them can't.

    ReplyDelete