Tuesday, February 9, 2010

American Airlines to Charge $8 for Blankets

With so many flights being canceled due to the snowstorms, you'd airlines would want to prevent the general public from getting yet another reminder of how they are nickel and dimming the public to death. Nonetheless, it appears as though American Airlines is actually going to start charging people $8 to use a blanket during flights that last over two hours and go to and from Canada, Mexico, Hawaii, the Caribbean and Central America. Before you start lashing out at American, however, it should be noted that JetBlue and US Airways already charge $7 for a blanket.

A few weeks ago I flew out to Oregon on Southwest which doesn't charge for a blanket or for luggage (which almost all other airways do nowadays). Although I did run into some problems because my first flight was delayed, which caused me to miss my connection in Chicago, the customer service was absolutely incredible and the staff made what could have been a disastrous day into one that was bearable. That won major points with me. Considering that companies like American continue coming up with absurd charges while still being consistently ranked among the worst airlines in the country, it looks like I'm going to remain loyal to Southwest.

No comments:

Post a Comment