Thursday, November 19, 2009

Dave Marsden Announces for State Senate

I just received a press release stating that Marsden will indeed be running for senate from the 37th district. I have known Dave Marsden for years and have seen him work extremely hard on behalf on his constituents. I strongly support his candidacy because I believe we need more leaders like Dave in the Senate who will stand up for the working class and fight to keep our schools among the best in the nation.

The following is the statement that he released today:
(BURKE, VA) Today, Virginia Delegate Dave Marsden announced his campaign for the 37th Senate seat in Fairfax County. The current state Senator, Ken Cuccinelli, will be leaving the Senate to become Virginia’s Attorney General after his electoral victory on November 3rd.

“Let’s face it: government is not working like it should for regular people and our small businesses. We are in the midst of a serious economic downturn and we need to focus on creating jobs, helping regular people and small businesses, and growing our economy,” said Delegate Dave Marsden.

Marsden, a resident of Fairfax County since 1952, noted: “Fairfax County has a unique quality of life that needs to be protected. I’ve been here nearly all my life and have seen the County grow from 40,000 people to over a million. I watched Centreville, Chantilly and Westfield High Schools being built and worked with their staffs on public safety issues. We need to make sure our schools maintain their quality – the key to our homes regaining their value.”

Dave Marsden has represented the 41st House District for four years. Ten of his fourteen precincts lie within the boundaries of the 37th Senate District. Almost 30% of the residents of the 37th Senate District reside in Dave’s House District.

“People here are just fed up. They’re tired of the fact that state government can’t get its act together to provide any real traffic relief. Everyone tells us that we are the economic engine of the state, but they won’t do a thing to help us with one of our biggest problems, traffic. It’s unbelievable, disheartening and makes all of us angry. If the folks in Richmond who were responsible for funding roads and providing mass transit had our commutes, this problem would have been addressed long ago. People are tired of lip service, and so am I.”

Now Virginia must face another round of budget cuts due to a continuing decrease in state revenues because of the nation’s economic woes. Marsden said, “Look, this is a serious time and we have got to stop messing around. We are going to have to cut another $3 billion from the state budget, and I am going to do my best to make sure that Fairfax County gets its fair share of revenue from Richmond. Fairfax sends so much money to Richmond and the rest of the state, it’s time we started to look out for ourselves more.”

Dave Marsden is Director/Consultant at Development Services Group and provides consulting services to states and localities about how to successfully work with juvenile offenders and gangs. He previously worked for the juvenile court in Fairfax for 29 years and ran the juvenile detention center for 17 years. He served as Chief Deputy and Acting Director of the Virginia Department of Juvenile Justice under Governors Warner and Gilmore. He lives in Burke with his wife, Julia. Together they raised their three children Nathan, Stuart and Connor.

3 comments:

  1. Well, this is an instance where I am torn but for different reasons than most would think. My union supported Cuccinelli over Janet in 2007 and even though I wasn't on the board I had to accept the fact that at the time for our interests as a local. This cycle again we won't be involved and just on a cursory glance at the potential GOP candidates this won't be like 2007. That's union-Dan, now here is Democrat Dan.

    Overall, I'm not sure what to think about this special election but I am seriously hoping that Democrats get out of their post election funk they are currently in. Don't get me wrong I think it's good for everyone to vent and get things off their chests. I did on Lowell's page and now it's time to get back to work. Lastly, I know one thing at a time BUT hopefully they are floating some names around as to who will replace Marsden in the House if and when he wins.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you brought up the fact that we do have to have some long term planning, even if we are focusing on the upcoming special election here. I know that there are a lot of people who were disappointed in the way that the prep for these special elections (37th Senate and Mt. Vernon School Board) and I truly hope that we've learned a lesson here and will have some more long term planning in terms of planning for special elections. Based upon conversations I've been having with folks, I confident that the lessons have be learned and that we'll perform more efficiently in the future.

    With that being said, I want to reiterate that I believe Dave Marsden will make an excellent Senator and I'm very excited about seeing his campaign move forward.

    ReplyDelete