Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Tim Hugo Is Worried His Non-Existent Opponent Will Raise Enormous Sums of Money

I like Tim Hugo. I disagree with a lot of his politics, but he's always treated me well over the years. Any time that I've written into his office about something he's always been quick to respond, usually giving me a personal call to follow up and has even given me a call on a few occasions to chat about something I've written on the blog. I greatly appreciate that, but I have to say that some of the emails his campaign has sent out have been quite ridiculous considering that he has no opposition besides a place holder who hasn't been doing any campaigning.

Yesterday, for instance, I received an email with a subject line that screamed "Democrats Seek to Re-Create 2007 with Hugo!" Really? Seems to me that the 40th is most definitely not one of the targeted races this year since Democrats don't have a candidate actively running AND even in Fairfax County (Hugo's home county) people are more focused on the races between Albo and Werkheiser in the 42nd, Hyland and Keam in the 35th, and Rust and Miller in the 86th. So I think it's safe to say that the subject line of that email was a little out of touch with the reality on the ground.

It'd be one thing if this was to help raise some money for his colleagues in the House or to perhaps save up for an opponent in two years, but he's sent out an email earlier in August that mentioned a fundraiser that was being hosted for his campaign. In that email Tim said that he needed to raise money because his big scary opponents (which don't exist this year) might invest a lot of money in the 40th and implied they'd do it in the next few months.
There is a financial reporting deadline on August 31st and I am asking for your help to ensure I can show that I have the resources to win this race.

You may remember that in 2007, the national and state wide Democrats put $360,000 into my race after September 1st and I am sure they are planning on doing the same thing again. That's why I need your help.
So even though his emails have been sent out implying that he's worried about his own chances of getting re-elected this year, there still might be the chance that he wants to use this money to help fellow Republicans or to save up for his own future campaigns. But if that's his real intentions, shouldn't he at least be honest with people about it when he's asking for money during an economic recession? If he actually believes that he's going to face tough competition this year even though his opposition is just a place holder who hasn't been campaigning, on the other hand, then there's a whole different story going on here as he just isn't in touch with the reality of what's going on in the community he represents. Either way I hope something changes soon because his constituents and supporters deserve better.

1 comment:

  1. Well, there's still always the possibility that Conrad is replaced on the ballot. I believe the time is running out on that, but you can never be too careful.

    ReplyDelete