Monday, April 27, 2009

Darcy Burner Takes New Role at American Progressive Caucus Policy Foundation

Darcy Burner has gotten a lot of attention in since 2006 because she is a strong progressive who ran for Congress from Washington’s 8th District against Republican incumbent Dave Reichert. One of the big reasons that her race received national attention was because she received a lot of support from netroots activists, but she ended up narrowly losing in both 2006 and 2008. It now appears as though Darcy has found another way in which she believes she can make a difference. According to an email she sent out last night, she has accepted a position as the Executive Director of an organization called American Progressive Caucus Policy Foundation.
I'm happy to announce that I've just taken a job in DC as the executive director of a 501c(3) non-profit organization called the American Progressive Caucus Policy Foundation, where I'll be spending my time bringing together progressives inside and outside of Congress to help advance the things we care about: peace and global security, energy independence, environmental sustainability, human rights, civil liberties and the health and economic well-being of us all.
Since I have worked for organizations that focus on the important issues but have limited funding, I have a lot of respect for Darcy’s decision to take this position. I honestly believe that it is through these organizations that some of the best work gets done because they bring people from diverse backgrounds together to work towards common goals. In my time with an organization that focused on economic justice, for instance, I had people from all across the political spectrum who wanted to volunteer for me because I was working hard to make sure that people from all economic backgrounds had access to a quality education and jobs that paid a living wage.

These are basic goals that most people support but don’t necessarily have the skills to organize around. With Darcy devoting her time and energy to the cause I’m sure the American Progressive Caucus Policy Foundation will have an increase in their ability to draw attention to some of their key issues. I wish her nothing but the best in her new role and hope she serves as a prime reminder of how public service is something we should all strive to do at some point in our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment