Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Edythe Kelleher Withdraws From Primary in House of Delegates Race

As Kenton pointed out over at the New Dominion Project, Edythe Kelleher has decided to drop out of the Democratic primary to replace Steve Shannon. There are four Democratic candidates still hoping to represent the 35th District but this is truly a day to step back and look at the broader picture because Edythe announced that she would be withdrawing from the race due to health concerns. I was very pleased to see that the other candidates in the race seemed to realize this and treated the situation with the utmost respect. Mark Keam, for instance, had the following to say after hearing the news.
“I am saddened to learn about Council Member Kelleher’s health condition, and my thoughts and prayers are with Edythe and her family. I have truly enjoyed getting to know Edythe over the past few months of this campaign, and I wish her a full and speedy recovery.”
I have also had the opportunity to speak with Edythe on several occasions during the last several months and strongly believe she brings a lot to the table. I sincerely hope that she's able to continue her productive work on the Vienna Town Council but, more importantly, wish her the absolute best during what I imagine could be a very difficult time.

UPDATE: John Carroll, who is also running in the Democratic primary in the 35th, released the following statement on Edythe withdrawing from the race.
“Councilwoman Kelleher’s decision to discontinue her campaign due to health complications saddens me deeply. For years, Edythe has been a model public servant in our community and it has been a pleasure getting to know her throughout the campaign season. My prayers are with her and I wish her and her family all the best in the future.”

No comments:

Post a Comment