Friday, December 12, 2008

The Real Discussion Begins

After the 2008 election a lot of people simply needed a break, which is understandable after a presidential election that lasted for two years. Since our country must deal with so many important issues right now, however, many organizations realize that now is not the time to let down. With that in mind, I went to a summit last weekend to discuss how bloggers can make a difference both on and offline. This weekend I will be meeting with organizers from all across the country to discuss what needs to be done in 2009 and beyond.

Here in Virginia there is obviously the elections for statewide offices and the House of Delegates. Of course, you can also throw in the special election for Chairman of the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors. And since both candidates in that race are currently serving on the Board, there will need to be yet another special election to replace whoever becomes Chairman.

Elections are obviously very important and will result in Virginia receiving a significant amount of attention from pundits who love horse races, but I think it’s also important for organizers, bloggers, and activists to look towards some issues as well. This is especially the case with the General Assembly session starting in about a month. For instance, I'm looking at a lot of economic justice issues and seeing how they play out in the general assembly.

With that in mind, I’m asking that people let me know what issues they believe need to be addressed. They can be on the local, state, or federal level – or even some combination of the three. Also, let me know if there's any particular bill at any level that you believe should be given some attention. You can either leave your thoughts in the comment section of this post or send me an email . If you feel like talking about it on the phone, simply send me your phone number and a good time to give you a call and I’ll do my best to get back to you. Also, your emails/comments can be as long or short as you want.

I’m looking forward to hearing what everyone has to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment