Monday, December 29, 2008

Farewell Sen. John Warner

While I am a progressive Democrat, there are a number of Republicans who I have tremendous respect for even if I disagree with them on certain topics. Retiring Sen. John Warner is one of those Republicans. It is for that reason that I was pleased to see that the AP recently did a profile on Warner.

Perhaps one of the major reasons Warner received respect from people on both sides of the aisle is his ability to at least listen to differing opinions. All to often in Washington (and in Richmond) we find politicians who believe sitting down with a member of the opposing party represents one of the greatest evils possible. Warner didn't take that philosophy and there was a number of times where he bucked his party in order to pass legislation that was truly in the best interests of our country. For that he has earned my respect and I wish him nothing but the best in his future engagements.

(h/t NLS)

No comments:

Post a Comment